Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Larkmead Vineyards Cab 1993 - A Delicious Cab Experience


This past Sunday, I had a few friends over to the house to try a bottle of wine that has sparked my curiosity - the Larkmead Vineyards Cab 1993.  Larkmead been producing wine since the late 1800s in California’s Napa Valley.

I have tasted some of the later vintages, and I enjoyed them, but I could not find reviews or ratings of the 1993 vintage, which was a good for California Cabernet.  Since Larkmead is known for producing very good wines, one would imagine this to be a no-brainer, but you never know. 

The Larkmead Cab is absolutely beautiful, and the entire group loved it!  It is fully mature, yet there is still plenty of life remaining.  It is brick red in color with lots of depth.  On the nose, candied cherry notes with paprika and white pepper follow through on the pallet. The flavors of candied cherry fruit and paprika spice, along with minerals and soft silky tannins, linger in a long, elegant finish that left us “OOOOOing” and “AHHHing.”  I served the Larkmead Cab with grilled veal rib chops that had been marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and fresh thyme – it was a magnificent pairing that I suggest you try!  Along with the veal, I made polenta with saffron and Parmesan cheese and haricoverts. 

We are currently selling the Larkmeak Vineyards Cab for $69.99, a great buy for such a beautiful, full-bodied cabernet. We have about 2 cases left.

Terry R. Brown - Wine Manager, Schneider's of Capitol Hill

No comments: