Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Wine of The Week - Bodegas Olivares Panarroz 2009 Jumilla, Spain


Panarroz 2009 Jumilla, Spain $9.99

It might start looking like we are being subsidized by the Spanish wine industry, given the number of wines I’ve featured from Spain in the last couple of months. But the answer is really down to the fact that I keep finding a growing number of very pleasurable and relatively inexpensive delights. This week’s pick is a case in point. Panarroz is a delicious blend of Monastrell (Mourvedre) 60%, Garnacha (Grenache) 20% and Syrah 20%. I’m not quite sure where the name rice bread comes from, but the delightful fresh fruit on the nose and palate seem to make more sense especially given the astounding price, coming in at under $10. I recommend picking up a bottle to try and I would be surprised if you didn’t come back to grab a case, as I think it makes a great standby, week night wine. It’s direct and youthful character, partly due to the absence of any oak ageing, means it is very versatile. Great for quaffing on its own, it would also work well with pasta, chicken, and even some meaty fish.

Felix Milner

No comments: